This is an unique and exciting opportunity for a student who has recently completed an undergraduate degree or diploma in business, accounting, economics or a related field to work in a professional environment for a non-profit organization. You will be personally mentored and supervised by the CFO, (CPA, CGA) who has experience in education (UBC), public accounting and industry. Ideally you will be working or intending to study for the CPA designation. You are a critical thinker eager to learn from first principles and not rote memorization. You will be compensated for contributing to the Institute by performing accounting functions but you will also learn the “why” (principles) and not just the “how” (processes and procedures) of accounting. The Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine is a medical school with a medical clinic.
To apply please send your resume and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Assistant/Accounting Technician
$15.00 – $18.00 per hour depending on experience.
This position could be a minimum of 21 hours per week to 35 hours per week with a flexible schedule to accommodate studies and exams.
Part-time or full-time subject to negotiation
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Accounting or Related Field of Studies
- Enroll for the Chartered Professional Accountant designation.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative, professional and ethical manner
- A willingness to learn and inquisitive mind
Initially you will be exposed to the basic building blocks of accounting by hands-on processing of accounting transactions
- Performing the day-to-day accounting processes, including accounts payable and receivables on Sage 50.
- Making daily clinic sale journal entries and prepare cash/cheque deposits
- Performing month-end credit cards and bank reconciliations
- Maintaining an orderly accounting filing system
- Interacting with students, vendors, service providers and third parties to resolve issues/discrepancies
- Updating and maintaining the general ledger
- Analysing inventory and cost of sales
Progression in the position may lead to further responsibilities including:
- Assisting in preparing GST/HST returns and charity tax returns.
- Interfacing with bankers, auditors and the CRA.
- Calculating GST returns/ITC claims, and fill out year end charity tax information return
- Calculating amortization and monitor fixed asset schedule
- Assisting with financial statement preparation, projections, forecasting and financial analysis
- Preparing annual budget for property division
- Preparing complex expense recoveries reports for the property division
- Assisting the CFO with cash flow projections, cost control and budgeting
- Assisting with preparing financial statements, budgets, forecasts and fund accounting
- Participating in Property Management Accounting
- Monitoring and process bi-weekly payroll on a proprietary payroll software package