POSITION TITLE: Counsellor
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean, Student Services
REQUIREMENTS: M. A. Clinical Psychology or M. Ed Counselling
- 2-5 years experience in crisis intervention
- Registration with the appropriate, applicable professional designation will be required.
- An understanding and spiritual practices as it relates to “Treat the Whole Person” under the Guiding Principles of Naturopathic Medicine.
- We’re looking for a candidate with demonstrated ability to use a variety of evidenced based methodology which may include: knowledge of behavioural models, cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, mindfulness approaches, social referencing, acceptance and commitment therapy, EMDR
The Counselor will provide counseling, psychotherapy, crisis intervention, coaching and emotional support to the Students of the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Counseling, psychotherapy, coaching and debriefing
- Provide emotional support to the range of issues for students
- Working from a professional orientation, deliver counseling that treats the underlying cause rather than managing or suppressing symptoms.
- Deliver counseling and psychotherapy that takes into account physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and spiritual factors.
- Where counseling or psychotherapy is not required, provide one to one coaching and/or debriefing.
- Deliver lunch and learns to students, as well as assist with student Orientation and assist with the grad retreat.
- The ability to write comprehensive assessments and maintain appropriate clinical/client/administrative records is required.
- Crisis Intervention
- Provide immediate emotional support, stabilize clients and develop appropriate coping and action plans.
- Refer clients to appropriate resources within the Institute and the local community.
- Where appropriate, provide support, organizational guidance and leadership to students. This includes modeling an open and supportive attitude and practicing healthy communication skills.
- Practice and model the principles of Patient-Centred Care and healthy relationships in all interactions, including maintaining appropriate personal, professional and emotional boundaries.
- Being conscious of all dimensions of personal experience and understanding how they inter-relate to personal and professional relationships. Model, counsel and coach members towards an appropriate balance of these dimensions.
- Model daily functioning of the highest possible level through proper nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, and positive emotions, thoughts and actions.
- As a potential steward for the well-being of the Boucher Community, practice and model a warm and tender sense of compassion, joy and equanimity.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- This is a short-term contract position with an estimated end date of January 31st, 2021.
- Due to the pandemic this position is currently working remotely but may transition back to campus as permitted. For additional information please refer to our website and the Return to Campus information posted.
- Hourly rate for this position is $30.45
- Availability Wednesday, Thursday and Friday days and evening are required.