POSITION TITLE: Director of Research (part-time)
REPORTS TO: Provost
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled. To apply please send your resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership by promoting, developing, and managing, the Research Department at BINM. The successful candidate will liaise with outside organizations to collect information on opportunities related to research and scholarship including research grants and contracts.
The Director will lead and oversee the activities of the Research Department, supervise the research staff and students, and work on behalf of the Institute, helping them achieve their research fundraising goals. The Director should be comfortable working independently and should
This will include disseminating information from outside organizations as well as from internal sources, which relate to the pursuit of research and scholarship. The Director will support faculty and students in Boucher related research activities. The Director will also be responsible for promoting research and scholarly activity skill sets within the institution and for creating and maintaining a tracking system for reporting research and scholarship.
This is a part-time (21 hour per week) position
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Masters level or terminal degree (ie. ND or PhD) from an accredited college or University
- Minimum of three years relevant research experience
- Knowledge and experience with designing and implementing a wide variety of research methodologies including, in depth interviewing, focus groups, online surveys etc.
- Knowledge and experience in qualitative data analysis; including narrative analysis to sort and organize large data sets and thematic coding to organize themes and concepts for analytical interpretation, as well as the ability to interpret and synthesize data sets, draw inferences, and arrive at conclusions
- Experience with grant writing is strongly recommended
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into consideration based on the applicant’s credentials
- Knowledge of naturopathic medicine and/or complementary medicine
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Demonstrated record of initiative, problem solving, and adaptability.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision to meet deadlines and produce high quality results in an environment with competing priorities and deadlines
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Experience with statistical analysis software such as SAS highly desirable
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures used in the research, collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting of statistical data
- Knowledge of research, assessment and planning activities in a higher education environment
- Skill in the application and use of appropriate statistical analysis
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate information on the analysis and interpretation of data and research findings to a non-technical audience
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Ability to manage competing priorities and handling multiple projects
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet established deadlines
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate others
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong listening, communication and collaboration skills
- Strong research and writing skills
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Manage and facilitate research and scholarship activities at Boucher
- Investigate funding opportunities including grants and other funding sources in the private and public
- Write proposals for grants and funding for Boucher Research activities
- Attend research related conferences to interact with granting agencies and other college research administration to discuss research related issues and concerns.
- Manage external relationships with funders and other stakeholders
- Ensure eligibility and compliance with granting agencies criteria
- Direct and manage the day to day activities of the department of research
- Liaise with organizational and administrative management within the institution that have links with the office of research
- Supervise the research staff. Set departmental and individual employee goals and provide routine evaluations of progress toward these goals.
- Identify and promote professional growth opportunities for staff. Ensure adherence to professional standards and ethics of prospect research.
- Develop and oversee budgets and policies and procedures for the Research Department.
- Annually review and update Research policies and procedures
- Develop professional development workshops in research for BINM faculty.
- Identify and outline processes and procedures necessary for faculty and students to pursue research activity
- Ensure compliance and prepare reports for all accreditation standards related to the Research Department.
- Safeguard Boucher in relation to liability stemming from research involving human participants
- Create and maintain a database of Boucher researchers, their experience, expertise and interest
- Prepare and monitor the status of grant applications and related budgets
- Produce an annual report that reflects the activities of the office
- Maintain and regularly update the research activities on the BINM website
- Develop, organize and post workshops and seminars on skills related to research
- Facilitate and direct the administration of research awards
- Participate as a constructive member of BINM’s team to achieve the stated mission and goals of the Institute.
- Chair and coordinate quarterly Research Committee meetings
- Communicate in a positive, regular and timely manner with your supervisor in regard to all matters concerning personal performance in the context of this job description, and the fulfillment of programmatic goals and objectives.
- Carry out all projects and duties as assigned on a timely basis.
- Undertake continuous personal and professional development which contributes to knowledge and skills within the subject area.