POSITION TITLE: Treasurer, Board of Governors
REPORTS TO: Board Chair and is accountable to the BINMS membership
SUPERVISES: Executive Director with rest of Board
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS: The Board consists of members from both within and outside the naturopathic profession. Licensed NDs as well as members of the business community, educators, those with accounting skills and legal expertise are sought. Experience serving on a not-for-profit governing board is desirable. The Treasurer must have a moderate understanding of accounting procedures and principles.
The Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine Society provides direction and leadership for the Institute. The Board of Governors of the Society ensures that the goals of the Boucher Institute are consistent and applicable for a naturopathic medical school. The Treasurer of the Board is a member of the Board and manages the Board’s review of, and action related to, the Board’s financial responsibilities. The term of office for the Treasurer is one year, but s/he may be voted in for subsequent terms. In addition to the general duties and responsibilities as outlined in the job description for a member of the Board, the following specifically applies to the Treasurer position:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Keeps or causes to be kept the financial records necessary, including books of account, to comply with the BC Society Act,
- Renders financial statements to the Governors, members and others when required and as authorized by the Board,
- Regularly reports to the Board on key financial events, trends, concerns and assessment of fiscal health,
- May work directly with the Finance Officer or other staff in developing and ensuring implementation of financial procedures and systems,
- Chairs the Finance Committee, prepares agendas and ensures minutes are kept for meetings,
- Recommends the auditor for the organization and meets annually with the auditor and makes recommendations to the Board about the audit,
- Ensures, through the Finance Committee, sound management and maximization of cash and investments,
- Performs such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Chair and/or Board of Governors, and
- Delivers within two (2) weeks after the expiration of their term of office, all books, records and papers to the newly elected Treasurer.
If you are interested in volunteering for this position, please send your resume and covering letter to email@example.com